Thursday, January 5, 2012

S.E. Hinton

During the 1990s there was multiple S.E. Hinton books on Australian High School English reading lists. Her book That Was Then, This Is Now was on the Year 8 book list in 1993, and The Outsiders was on the Year 9 book list in 1994. I read and studied both of these books and Hinton (pictured above) quickly became a source of writing inspiration for me, as her five young adult books have a focus on wayward youths and their social and personal development towards adulthood. I could relate to many of the rebellious characters in her books and their misadventures and progression certainly made for good reading, at a time when I read few books. Hinton's first book The Outsiders was published in 1967 when she was 17-years old. As a teenager the idea of writing novels suddenly didn't seem like just the work of greying adults, knowing that Hinton was only two years older than me when the book was published. She is one of my biggest writing influences and I own all of her adult and young adult books. To purchase a copy of any of my books please refer to these links: Boomerang Baseball cheapest seller, The American Dream: From Perth to Sacramento cheapest seller, The Tourist cheapest seller, and Brennan Cooper cheapest seller.